Hercules Site Services Ltd is committed to minimising the impact of its activities on the environment. The development and implementation of this policy and our Environmental Management System demonstrate our commitment to continual improvement and intentions to minimise our environmental impact. The key points of our strategy to achieve this are:
• Comply with the law and environmental regulations as a minimum.
• Implement and maintain our company standards to ISO 14001:2015 requirements
• Ensure all employees have an understanding and are trained in their responsibilities in relation to the
environmental policy and management system.
• Provide necessary resources, equipment, information, instruction and training to fulfil the requirements of this
policy. This includes utilising and promoting the resources and material available as part of our partnership
with the Supply Chain Sustainability School.
• Optimise energy use and reduce the use of raw materials by re-use and recycling. All phases of the project,
from early involvement through to handover, as well as supporting processes, will support the purchase of
energy efficient products and services in order to improve our energy performance.
• Monitor progress on a regular basis to identify strengths and areas for improvement and highlight actions required, through our Carbon Management Committee, SHEQ Committee and Senior Leadership Team
• Initiatives led from Managing Director and Construction Director looking to improve the company’s carbon
footprint, monitored, reviewed and tracked periodically using the Objectives Tracker.
In particular, in order to implement this policy, we will address a set of objectives and targets identified as a result of environmental review, which relate to the environmental impacts of our organisation. We intend to reduce our environmental impacts through improvements by:
• Energy use.
• Minimising waste by evaluating operations and ensuring they are efficient as possible, including disposal of
• Actively promoting recycling both internally and amongst its customers and suppliers, including office paper.
• Controlling the emission of pollutants and by reducing the risk of contamination to soil, water and the
• Seeking to avoid the use of hazardous materials.
• Considering the effects that our operations may have on the local communities.
• Ensuring effective and expedient incident control, investigation and reporting.
• Our Carbon Management Committee regularly monitors and reviews our policy, relevant procedures, carbon
emissions management and KPIs.
Our Carbon Management Strategy sits within our Environmental Policy and supporting documents, and includes:
• Creation of the Recruitment & Personnel Management System (App). We believe this technology will shape the future of construction and result in operatives travelling less, lowering our company carbon footprint and reducing fatigue.
• Use of our Mobile Health Screening Trailer, reducing our carbon footprint by delivering health & wellbeing solutions directly at site.
• Our fleet of state-of-the-art Suction Excavators, driving efficiency and lowering carbon emissions.
• Our brand-new Head Office is fitted with LED lighting and smart technologies, minimising energy consumption.
• Driving strict recycling schemes throughout the organisation – 98% of all our Head Office waste is currently recycled and
we are continuously improving.
• Encouraging and planning our workforce to ensure car sharing and shuttle buses wherever possible, lowering carbon
emissions and number of vehicles on roads.
• Investing in next-generation vehicles, aiming to have all our vehicles using some form of electric power by 2025.
• Regularly updating and maintaining our fleet, with the majority of our vehicles being Euro 6 compliant.
• Encouraging our employees to use technology wherever possible.
• Using e-meetings, video conferencing and skype in order to reduce miles travelled.
• Utilising technology, reducing unnecessary printing and paper usage.
• Using battery-powered tools instead of using generators where possible on price projects.
• Using local suppliers ensuring less travel and insisting our supply chain invests in this attitude.
• Sourcing timber from Grown in Britain and FSC-certified suppliers.
• Utilising e-learning tools to cut down on carbon emissions from employees travelling to training centres.
• Reusing timber formwork.
• Sourcing recycled aggregate wherever possible on our projects.
• Operating a ‘Cycle-to-Work’ Scheme.
This Environmental Policy is communicated and made available to all company personnel, client/main contractors, members of the public and other interested third parties. The Managing Director shall review this policy annually or following significant changes.
Hercules Site Services Ltd
Download a copy